We wish that every meal we made was wild game, but sometimes a little steak is a welcomed change. Team Whiskey is dedicated to sourcing meat in a sustainable and humane fashion and we have found a ranch that represents everything we stand for. Bently Ranch is the leader in sustainable and humane ranching practices in the Nevada/Northern California area.
“Pasture centered or grass fed means that the calves are born in a field, spend their lives grazing, and know freedom for their entire lives. They do what cows do best_ roam and forage.
Our cattle are Angus and Herford crosses, bred with Charolais bulls. They thrive in our environment, resulting in the high quality beef available to you right now in our online store, and locally through our ranch office and local partners.”
For this recipe, we are making good, old-fashioned steak.
2. 1 Cauliflower Head
3. 2 Cups Wild Mushrooms
4. 1 Head Garlic
5. 2-3 Sprigs Thyme
6. 2-3 Sprigs Rosemary
7. ½ Yellow Onion
8. ¼ Cup Salted, Grass-fed Butter
9. Salt & Pepper
10. 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
11. 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Paste
1. Get a pot of boiling water going for the cauliflower. While you are waiting for the water to boil, dice the onion and garlic.
2. When the water comes to a boil (Make sure to salt the water!), quarter the cauliflower and place in the boiling water. The cauliflower should take roughly 10 minutes to reacht he desired doneness.
3. Sautee mushrooms with garlic, salt, pepper, butter, thyme and rosemary to taste. I am a huge fan of thyme and garlic, so I usually go a little overboard. Remember the mushrooms will go on top of the steak, so a little extra butter will help bring the whole plate together. Our favorite is morels we forage from the woods, but any wild mushroom will work for this recipe.
4. In a separate Sautee pan, bring 2 tlbs of butter, thyme, garlic, rosemary, and onion to medium heat to bring the flavors together and set aside. This will be your flavoring for the cauliflower.
5. Once the cauliflower is finished pull it out of the water and strain in to remove as much excess water as possible.
6. Put cauliflower, mayonnaise, red pepper paste, and butter mixture in a Vitamix and blend on 4 until you reach your desired consistency. Leave the puree in the Vitamix with the lid on to retain heat.
7. Salt & Pepper steaks to liking. In a hot skillet put 1-2 tablespoons of butter quickly followed by your steaks. Sear for 2 minutes on each side for a 1-inch steak to ensure a temperature of med/med-rare. Finish the steak by bathing in butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme before removing from the skillet. Let the steak rest for 3-5 minutes.
8. On a plate start with a ½ cup of the puree followed by your steak and top it with the mushroom mixture. Then pour yourself a big fat glass or bourbon.